Why do a Juice Cleanse?
by Julianne Dowse | AUG 2020
So, you want to do a juice cleanse?
You’ve read a bit, might have watched a movie (Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead), may have even met someone who has done one and you figure you are going to jump straight in.
Okay, I get that.
But first, let me ask…
Why do you want to do a juice fast?
- Is it to lose weight?
- Is it to heal something?
- Is it to cleanse the body?
- Or, have you just lost your spark and think juice fasting is the way to get it back?
Sure, juice fasting may in fact give you all of these things and more. And, I can certainly vouch that it does. But, it my experience and the experiences I have had with helping other people do a juice fast, the ones who get the most from the experience are the people who have a driving force (a big WHY) before they do it.
They are invested. Life has caused them to reach this decision and they have a knowing within that it is the right decision for them.
They are not easily swayed by other people’s opinion. They do not need someone else to give their approval, they know it is what they need to do and they are clear on why they need to do it and it is done!
In effect, they have bowed to the six honest serving-men as in Rudyard Kipling’s famous poem:
So, you might be thinking I have lost the plot. What on earth does Rudyard Kipling’s poem about six honest serving-men have anything to do with juice fasting?
Well, hang with me for a bit and let’s see if I can break it down for you.
- The WHAT
If you are going to drink juice for a period of time, you first need a Juicer. It goes without saying really, but you would be surprised how many people don’t actually have any concept of what a Juice Machine is.
Firstly, let me start by saying that a blender is not a juicer. Many people have a blender machine (Nutribullet, Vitamix etc.), you know the one, you put all the ingredients in, turn the machine on and it pulverizes everything to make a juice – that’s a Juice Machine isn’t it?
Well, technically this is a SMOOTHIE Machine and before you ask, no juices and smoothies are not the same.
A smoothie contains all of the fibre. When you make a smoothie you get the soluble fibre (which is the fibre that dissolves and that your body uses to feed your cells) and the insoluble fibre (which is the fibre that doesn’t dissolve but acts like a broom to sweep through your intestines and is eliminated from your bowel).
Your body still has to digest a smoothie, which is different from what the body does when you drink juice.
A smoothie is a meal replacement and is best served to use after exercise or as a way to reduce calories as a replacement for a meal.
But, a smoothie isn’t a juice. Technically it is a drink, but not a juice drink.
I know, I can hear you from here…what is she on about – why do I need to know about juices versus smoothies?
And what has this got to do with having a Juicer?
Well, for starters, chances are you have a blender. You probably use it quite a bit (or not) but you figure you have the right appliance for the job.
I am here to tell you that you don’t. Not even close.
For starters, you need a Juice Machine. A machine that separates the insoluble fibre from the soluble fibre – or, as most people know – the pulp from the juice.
So, once you have wrapped your head around that, you now need to ask yourself – do I want a fast or slow juicer?
Well, most people would arguably say FAST, give me FAST, I don’t want to waste time making juice, and so what are the best FAST juicers to buy?
Here’s where a lot of people come undone.
They don’t invest in the right machine and then they have a really bad experience when they make juice – the machine is noisy, it’s too hard to clean, you don’t get much juice, most of your produce ends up in the pulp basket…so on and so on…
And so they give up. They decide, juicing is not for them and they push their purchase to the back of the kitchen cupboard and promise never to do that again.
But, wait…there is another juicer on the market A slow juicer. A juicer that provides the very best quality juice. A juicer that keeps all the nutrients and enzymes intact. A juicer that helps you fall in love with juicing. Yes, that is correct, you will actually fall in love with juicing. I did and I am a very big critic when it comes to food and food prep.
So, what is a slow juicer you ask?
Well, it’s known in the marketplace as a Cold Pressed Juicer.
The ‘cold pressing’ comes from the fact it spins very slow (doesn’t generate any heat) and from the fact it doesn’t have any metal blades that rip and shred your fruit and vegetables.
A Cold Pressed Juicer is used by people who want to juice for health.
People who have done their research (like us, probably started with a fast juicer) now understand that cold pressed juice delivers the most nutrients and enzymes. They also know that all of the ‘heat sensitive’ vitamins (thiamin, folic acid and vitamin C) are kept intact in a Cold Pressed Juicer and not destroyed, which is often the case in a juicer that has metal blades (and where the blades spin between 3000 and 10000 Repetitions Per Minute (RPM)).
In my discovery, I have found that the best of the best for a Cold Pressed Juicer is made by Kuvings.
Why Kuvings Juicers you ask?
Here’s my top 10 reasons:
- It’s quiet – trust me, you want this!
- You get more juice from your produce – the machine squeezes every last drop!
- It tastes better – Kuvings have nailed the ability to extract the most nutrients and enzymes, and you can tell because of how good it tastes.
- It looks better – you ‘eat’ first with your eyes and you won’t be disappointed. Kuvings Juice brings out all of the colours of the rainbow. No oxidation = no brown juice!
- The cap – OMG, I love the cap because it enables you to close it and either do a pre-rinse with water making it easier to clean or, to simply close the cap and leave it filled with water and only clean it after every 2 or 3 uses.
- Quality – All of Kuvings Cold Pressed Juicers are made in Korea and they back their product with a 5 year warranty on parts and a whopping 20 year warranty on the motor
- Weekly Juice Recipes – they offer a free juice recipe every week. No need to think about that one!
- Storage – because its cold pressed, you have the ability to make your juice in bulk and store it for up to 3 days in a glass bottle in the fridge. That’s a WINNER for me!
- Versatility – it makes more than just juice, you can make nut mylks, sorbets and you will actually get juice from herbs and wheatgrass – this juicer is really versatile.
- And finally, the design is great – they look good on your kitchen bench, so much so that you will want to leave it out and use it daily!
So, go and check them out and grab yourself a 5% discount with my coupon code: Foodies5
- The WHERE
This one is probably simple. The WHERE is where are you going to do a juice fast?
For most people, they will fast in the comfort of their own home. But, if you are not supported where you are, maybe you need to spend time with a friend during your fast, or go to a retreat and get supported along the journey.
The where could also be, where on earth am I going to store all of my produce? This is worth a thought, because if you plan to juice for 7 days (as an example) that’s a lot of fruits and vegetables you will need to store for that time.
- The WHEN
When is so important. You need to get your timing right.
I mean to say, if you are packed with social engagements and you are trying to squeeze a juice fast in, then you are not setting yourself up for success.
Equally, juice fasting over the colder months of autumn and winter is really challenging.
Your body naturally runs cold when you fast and so, if you struggle to keep warm when the weather is cold, maybe look at doing your juice fast in the warmer months of spring and summer. Or alternatively, if you are super keen to fast in winter, make Veggie Broths as your dinner juice, that way you are still getting all of your good nutrients into your body, but it will also serve to warm the body up as well.
- The HOW
For me, the how is all about being super prepared, it’s the one you answer to set yourself up for success. Here’s a checklist of some ‘hows’ to see how prepared you are for your upcoming juice fast:
- How informed are you about juice fasting?
- Will you tell people? And how?
- How will you make your juices?
- How will you keep yourself focused?
- How important is it to do this?
- How many days do you want to do?
- How much produce will you need?
- What support do you need, do you have it?
I find that once you have answered all of the other ‘serving men’ the how naturally presents itself.
- The WHY…
If ever you are going to do something new and be disciplined to ‘stay the course’ – you need a big WHY. This helps you through the ‘shitty’ times (literally…) and it helps you to keep going when the going gets tough.
I love to create a vision board for my WHY. That way, I can pour my energy into it and then when it is finished, I have a very visual reminder of why.
What do you need?
- Blank paper (any size) I like to use A3 visual art diary paper, it is thick and it can easily take glue.
- Magazines (that you can cut up) or, you can use pictures from the internet for your inspiration
- Optional craft supplies – glitter, colour pencils, markers etc..
- Grab your blank sheet of paper and place it in front of you
- Think about why you want to do a juice fast, what is it you hope to achieve?
- Open the magazines and find pictures that match ‘your why’
- Place the pictures randomly on the blank paper and do this until you feel it is complete
- Glue the pictures to the paper, add glitter, colour it, use your creativity.
- Place in a prominent position where you will see it every day (good places; bathroom mirror or fridge)
- The WHO…
Well, I guess this is the easy one to answer – The Who is you. You are the one doing the fast.
But, you might want to also consider who else needs to be involved?
Maybe you need to tell people you are doing it – maybe you will do a fast with someone else so you can support each other.
I caution you that some people may not be keen on you doing this. They may have fears around what a fast does. If this is the case, maybe you can share some information with them to help alleviate their fears – or maybe you don’t tell them, or tell them to ‘stay away’ while you do it.
Remember, people don’t always have the same view on everything, so don’t expect people to ‘be on board’ when you are still getting up to speed yourself.
Be gentle on them and don’t berate them if they are not a fan. But, neither let them deter you if this is what you truly want to do.
Just get educated and either choose to take them along for the journey (even if it’s just giving them information) or by actually involving them.
But, don’t discount ‘the WHO’ – it is a very important question to ask of yourself.
So, that’s my little breakdown of the What, Where, When, How, Why and Who – may the six honest serving-men serve you extremely well.
I hope this information helps you to come to a place within that is right for you.
Juice Fasting is a very powerful tool and one I am so very happy to have in my toolkit. It gave me so very much and you can read my story here.
So, if you are still keen to give your body nothing but cold pressed juice for a period of time, I say…
Congratulations and I wish you every success on your journey!
Guest Blogger for Kuvings Australia
I wrote a book – it’s called A Foodie’s Guide to Juice Fasting to help people do a 7 day juice fast. As a self-proclaimed foodie, I know what it’s like to go without the very thing you love the most and so…I feel I have a lot to offer as most people don’t think they can go without food, let alone fast!