OMG, this pie is so amazingly delicious! Great for any festive occasion with its burnt orange colour (thanks to sweet potato).
Made from healthy ingredients it is vegan and gluten-free and you can serve it up as a beautiful dessert, or simply have it on hand for when friends drop in!
Dress it up with some fancy icing/whipped coconut cream.
Sweet Potato Pie Filling
Ingredients – serves 8
- 425g steamed sweet potato
- 180ml Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup Arrowroot/Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- Preheat your oven to 180 celsius (350 fahrenheit)
- Place all ingredients in the blender.
- Blend on auto until a smooth mixture has formed.
- Spread across unbaked shortcrust pastry
- Bake for 40 minutes, then place a larger oven pan over the top to prevent over browning (or ‘tent’ it with foil)
- Continue to cook for a further 20 minutes
- Sprinkle the top with Coconut Whipped Cream and Chopped Pecans/Maple Syrup (or serve with Coconut Ice Cream)
This recipe was inspired by Loving it Vegan and the pie filling was made in the Kuvings SV500 Vacuum Blender
Vegan Shortcrust Pastry
- 1 ¼ cups oat flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold vegan butter cut into squares
- Add flour and salt to bowl, then add cold butter and bring together, make a well and add cold water
- Roll into a ball and wrap with cling film. Allow it to rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes
- Lay a baking sheet on your bench, place dough on top and another baking sheet on top of this.
- Gently roll your dough to fit your pie dish. You want it to be ¼ to ½ inch thick. Use your rolling pin to lift and place into dish.
- Pour your pie filling onto your shortcrust dough.
“Eat good. Feel Good”
Want more healthy plant-based recipes?