All the world over, kids and adults alike love this nutty, chocolaty spread. But, if you are conscious about what you put into your body (or your loved ones), then you might want to sub out the store-bought version with this healthy, homemade Nutella that is actually filled with healthy goodness, as well as hazelnuts (hmmm…go figure), as it should be!!!
It is delicious, creamy and spreadable, and with only a handful of ingredients, it will be an easy thing to make each month. Big and little kids will love it and hey, if you must, just keep refilling an original ‘brand store jar’ and they probably won’t even know the difference!
Ingredients (makes ~250g)
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts (skins off)
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp filtered water
Step 1: Prepare your nuts (omit this step if you’ve bought them already done)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Spread hazelnuts on a tray
- Roast for 6-8 minutes or just until they begin to brown
Step 2: Blend your nuts
- Add nuts to your blender and blend on auto.
Step 3: Combine all ingredients
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender with the nuts
- Turn the dial to full speed and let the ingredients blend together
Note: You might need to tamper the ingredients onto the blades to get it fully mixed.
Adjust water content as required.
Step 4: Serve
- Add your chocolate & hazelnut spread to a small jar and enjoy!
Tip: This spread can be used in baking, on pancakes or crepes, on strawberries, over icecream or simply eat it straight from the jar 😊
Store in the fridge for up to 2 months.
Want more healthy plant-based recipes?